Feb 2, 2018

Suzy Cube Update: February 2, 2018

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity @NoodlecakeGames 
Level beautification was the name of the game this week! I also wrapped up Level S-8, mentioned last week which means the Special World stages are now in the bag, for real!

That's a Wrap

With the completion of Level S-8, all of the game's levels are now done and accounted for!

That's a lot of heat haze!

I was able to complete work on the level late on Friday with a bit of work on Monday. I didn't end up tweaking it much on the gameplay side, mostly adding some coins and decoration, really. 

I ended up spending a bit more time than expected on the Special World stages, but in the end, I think they are a better bunch of levels for it.


Nice!

With the Special World level design stuff out of the way, the rest of my week was spent on level decoration.

A sinking feeling.

From one lava themed level to another. Level 5-1 got some loving. It's understated, mostly adding the glowy looking gradients to the bottoms of platforms so they seem to sink into the lava... Which isn't visible in the screenshot above since it wasn't taken during gameplay. This one was pretty quick to do as I had, inexplicably, spent some time dropping props into the level while I was designing it! So I wasn't starting from such a blank canvas.

The World 4 boss level also got the decoration treatment.

A foray into the forest!

Mushrooms, log piles and bushes were the order of the day decorating this forest themed level. I also ended up tweaking the level lighting a bit too to make it a bit warmer and more saturated.

Burrrr

And, finally, I just barely got started on Level 5-2 last night before calling it quits. I'm hoping to make some good progress on this one today.

Well, that's it for now. Next week, I might revector my efforts towards the game's various control tutorials. If playing with a controller, it's pretty straight forward, just show that all the face buttons do "jump", but touch screen controls are a different story. I still see folks dragging their finger on the to move Suzy, like they are using a laptop touchpad. Using the screen like a control stick is going to be the most important thing to properly communicate. Check in next week to see how I'm getting on with it!




No comments:

Post a Comment