Dec 29, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: December 29, 2017

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity @NoodlecakeGames 
Kind of a non-update this week, as I've spent very little time at my desk. For what it's worth, here is what I did get done.

The holidays are a great time to disconnect from work for a few days and enjoy the company of friends and family... Also, spend a bunch of time in the kitchen prepping for parties etc. And so, I essentially worked one day this week. As such, nothing much to update on other than trying out new models for the collapsing platforms. After a bunch of testing involving playing around with all sorts of rendering settings, etc. I discovered that the framerate drops I was experiencing on base hardware (Gen5 iPod Touch) were highly affected by the platforms being flagged as shadow receivers. As the Suzy's drop shadow is super important when it comes to properly estimating positioning when jumping, there was no way I was going to turn off this setting. What I discovered also helped, however, was to simply reduce the complexity of the model. Unfortunately, this did mean reducing the model's visual quality as well, but that's the constant danse in the name of performance. What used to be individually indented stonework numbering 130 vertices was reduced to 30, letting the texture do the work.

Like I said, not much work done this week. So, on that, I'm gonna get back to it. The kitchen that is, there's still New Years Eve to get through, after all! 

See you all in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment