Dec 1, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: December 1, 2017

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity @NoodlecakeGames 
A great week for Special World level design progress! Reviving a couple of shelved designs allowed me to get a healthy head start on adding two more levels to the Special World roster.


Back Burner

Over the years of working on this game, I ended up with a few partially completed levels that didn't make the cut into the final game. In the case of the couple levels I repurposed this week, neither was a bad design, they simply didn't fit the niche required of them as regular levels.

Down we Go

Dark!

The first of these is Level S-9, which was originally built to be Level 3-2. In fact, I considered this design complete for months even including it in several rounds of play testing. In the end, though, I decided to shelve it in favour of a stronger gimmick.

So, what was I supposed to do with this perfectly good level? Simple, make it a little tougher and revive it as a Special World level!


Getting Chilly

And our second Special World level is Level S-3, a snow themed level with an inside-out twist.

Brrrr!

The initial draft of this level ended up being replaced by what is now Level 2-3. It was meant to introduce switch activated temporary blocks but barely made use of them. Because of this, I ended up coming up with a design which better highlighted this core mechanism. What I has shelved, though was an interesting concept in its own right.

Exploring the cave

As hinted at above, what actually sets Level S-3 apart isn't it's minimal use of temporary blocks but it's exploratory design. Like all Suzy Cube levels, the path to the goal is a linear one, but the open starting area and path through the central mountain give the level a much more free roaming feel.

There you have it. One more level done and another just needing another tweak or two. Considering I was hit by a bus on Tuesday, this week didn't turn out so bad.

Oh, did I forget to mention that? Ya, I got hit by a bus crossing at an intersection near the embassy on Tuesday morning. Needless to say, that day was shot as I spent basically the entirety of it at the clinic/hospital. For the curious, I was very lucky (according to those who saw the security cam footage) and walked away, literally, with only some sprains, scrapes and bruises. The doctor's orders to say off the busted ankle probably helped me stay focused on work, actually. 

On that, weird as hell, note. I bid you all happy weekend and I'll see you all back here next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment