Sep 1, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: September 1, 2017

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity 
Howdy folks! I've been busy on a level redesign this week. I know, I know, I said a while back all the levels were drafted, but I've had this on my to-do list for months.

A Little Something Something

So, if there already was a Level 3-2, why make a new Level 3-2? Simply put, I thought the original was missing something, a lack of compelling identity, if you will.

Many rooms to visit.

The old design of the level was played entirely from a side view and that was, essentially, the only thing which set it apart from other levels. I had this idea to redesign it such that the player could move from the 'front' to the 'back' of the level through doorways which, eventually, became the basis for this new version of the level.

This new version of Level 3-2 now involves some light puzzle elements involving moving between the level's front side and back side to move platforms and open doorways.

Baby got back!

The switches and central room also act as a callback to the World 2 pyramid themed level, which is a nice bonus.

Though the overall design of the level is finished, I still have to complete the exit area and do a thorough pick-ups pass, adding coins and power-ups before I can call this one done.

Take Out the Trash

So, what about the old level? Can it be saved? Sure it can! I'll be reusing it as a Special World level. These are challenging levels which are only unlocked by finding all the Bonus Stars hidden throughout the game's regular worlds.

"But, wait, if the level wasn't good enough to make it into the main game, why would it be good enough as a bonus level?" I hear you ask. The problem with the original design wasn't that it was bad, it simply lacked a strong conceptual hook. My main goal with the game's primary set of levels is to give players something new every time, something memorable. The Special World levels are different, the main goal with these is to offer expert players an extra challenge to reward them for mastering the game. As such, I'll be able to use the old Level 3-2 design as a solid starting point from which to build a modified, more challenging, version which should satisfy those high level players looking for something tougher.

Cool! So, that's it for this week's update. I've got some finishing touches to go apply to this new level. See you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment