May 12, 2017

Suzy Cube Update: May 12, 2017

#SuzyCube #gamedev #indiedev #madewithunity 
I put all of my energy into level design this week and dang did it feel good to take a break from bugs!
Having had so much trouble making forward progress over the last few weeks, I decided to put everything else aside and complete the design of Level 4-4! But first...


In Other News

I did get a couple things done after my update last Friday...

Spooky!

One such little addition was to add glowing eyes to these blowtorch panels I have throughout the game. It just sort of hit me about a month ago that if they are going to have a face and spit fire, they really should have glowing eyes, no? Well, I finally got around to adding the glow.

Ok, that's a pretty small detail. What was actually essential to making progress with Level 4-4 was getting the jitters out of my wolling blocks. I mentioned last week that after weeks of work, I was still struggling to get some nice, jitter free, rolling block motion. Well, last Friday, I rearranged some parenting in my setup and said goodby to the jitters! 

Clank! Clank! Clank!

I also added support for playing particles, sounds and screen shake when rolling to complete the effect. I gotta say, I was feeling pretty darn great on Friday afternoon!

On the Level

So what of Level 4-4, which I've been planning to build for about three weeks now? Well, it's done!

Looks simple enough...

This is the game's last lava themed level... Well, not chronologically when playing the game, but it IS the last lava level on my list! It's full of rotating and rolling hazards like the lava-fall climb!

Easy does it!

It's a fairly late game level, so I'm hoping players will be able to handle the challenge. As always, only playtesting will tell!

I'm feeling pretty good about my progress this week, though it did mean deferring some work including lingering bugs. Sometimes, it's important to just focus on the good and build some momentum! Next week I will be revisiting a couple of older problematic levels to mostly do some rebalancing and am hoping to get started designing the game's penultimate level, Level 5-4, a very vertical forest level. A, much needed, break from lava!

See you all next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment